Friday, September 29, 2006

The One Time he's Right,he's Right

The One Time he's Right, he's Right

Won't happen again, he said
and said
and said.
Cleaned up my act, he stressed,
stressed,
stressed.
You can count on me, he said.
Said, said, yes, yes,
and said.
I am going to be good.
I am going to treat you right.
I am determined,
you will see. . .see?

Happens again, you are dead
to me, you sighed
between screams.
Tried not to cry, but it hurt
so bad. Please,
you heard yourself say
again. Keep your promise
this time.
You have let me down
so many times.
You barely had breath
to speak.

I know, he whined.
but this is a brand new me.
I swear on all that is holy
it won't happen. It will never,
never,
happen again.

It did,
and he's right.
It will never,
ever,
happen
again.

Phyllis Jean Green

Blog Archive